Topless Alignment Services® eliminates the time-consuming and expensive process of reassembling the turbine for “Tops-On” measurements, saving hundreds of man-hours and labor per turbine section. Most centerline alignment activities are moved off the critical path, reducing outage duration by days. No “Tops-On” readings are needed.
How is Topless Laser Alignment Performed?
- MD&A takes measurements immediately after rotors are removed, during slack time, while the stationary components are waiting for rotors to be blast cleaned.
- Using custom laser and measurement equipment, MD&A measures turbine shell deflections and centerline bore positions.
- Ideal steampath bore positions are then calculated and recommended moves are made as a non-critical activity.
- The final alignment is verified and corrected if necessary after component inspection and repairs are completed.
Why Choose the MD&A “Topless Alignment®” Method?
- Stationary component alignment is done off the critical path
- Increased Safety! A 50% reduction in heavy rigging of upper half-shells and casings (No Tops-On measurements)
- Bearing shim changes and pad contact checks done off the critical path
- Improved turbine efficiency
- When combined with the new Guardian® packing from MD&A, the packing can be custom machined to compensate for out-of-round bores, further improving efficiency
Check this case study out:
Learn more about the other Steam Turbine Services that MD&A offers.