Operating Surveillance Program
The Operating Surveillance Program can be performed to indicate various issues and leaks for a steam turbine and/or generator. The Operating Surveillance Service is typically performed while the unit is online and takes 2-3 days depending on the size and complexity of the unit.
These results and recommendations allow our customers to help ensure the continued reliability of their equipment through an independent expert evaluation. Additionally, the findings and recommendations of MD&A’s engineer are reviewed as part of the exit interview with the owner. Maintenance plans and priorities are reviewed and adjusted, as necessary, based on findings.
After reviewing documentation from the owner/operator to establish a unit-specific checklist and datasheets, MD&A’s engineer conducts initial discussions with operations and maintenance personnel to gain a better understanding of unit history and any known issues or particular areas of focus.
Then, an MD&A expert collects operational data up to 4 different times throughout the visit using a variety of instruments and records it in a Turbine Performance Data Log that is part of the final report.
Our Experts also collect and record the following information (as applicable):
- Generator operation surveillance data
- Auxiliary systems surveillance data by recording collector ring brush vibration and collector ring condition.
- MSV’s and NRV’s test information
- Lube oil system surveillance data and lube oil pump/ vapor extractor vibration data
- Bearing operation surveillance data (lube oil temp at each bearing and bearing metal temp or bearing cap temp data)
- Hydrogen system surveillance data by recording data from the cabinet and conducting hydrogen leak checks
- Seal Oil System surveillance data (seal oil data, CE seal and bearing insulation, and seal oil pump data)
- Battery system data
- Sound surveillance data
- EHC system surveillance data from components & cabinet data
MD&A prides itself on providing expert advice & recommendations to our Customers through our Operating Surveillance program. Our recommendations include a clear and objective roadmap for future operations, realistic unit expectations, future component inspection advice, and specific operating suggestions. All findings are summarized in a written report that is left with the Customer at the completion of the service.
Check this case study out:
Learn more about the other Generator Services that MD&A offers.