Collector Ring Machining
MD&A can perform collector ring machining on-site, allowing our customers to have damaged collector rings repaired without removing the generator field from the stator. We support collector ring axial widths as narrow as 1.5" with our single stone process for final honing and polishing.
In addition, we also can perform the same type of repair at our Turbine-Generator Repair Facility in St. Louis, MO for rotors that have additional shop work being performed.
- Uneven rings can be ground to the same diameter and made concentric with the rotor shaft
- Worn dust grooves may be able to be restored to their original condition by regrooving the rings
- Rings can be removed and reinsulated if the insulation is grounded
- If excessive wear makes regrooving or re-machining not practical, new rings can be installed along with new insulation
- Repairs are completed while the rotor is stationary or on turning gear
- New collector rings are installed on-site and in-situ
Additionally, as part of in-place stationary shaft machining, MD&A can repair damaged journals and seal areas without removing turbine and generator rotors from the unit.
Learn more about the other Generator Repairs that MD&A offers.