Vortex Shedder® Spill Strips
MD&A Parts Division offers the patented advanced design Vortex Shedder® spill strip. The Vortex Shedder® incorporates an aerodynamic geometry to reduce the leakage flow while improving stage heat rate performance. Whether the steam path design is impulse, reaction, or a combination of both, the vortex can have a significant improvement on stage efficiency above the original design.
Our stainless Vortex Shedder® Tip Seals work by creating vortices at the admission side of the seal. These vortices reduce the pressure drop, resulting in lower flow and less leakage across the seal. This translates to improved stage heat rate performance for the steam turbine. PATENT NUMBER: 5,735,667
- The Vortex Shedder is a shape applied to a seal, creating small vortices at the seal tooth.
- These vortices create a pressure barrier at the tooth, lowering the change in pressure (ΔP) across it.
- Lowering the ΔP seal increases efficiency.
- Lower ΔP also means less flow, resulting in longer seal life at the higher efficiencies.
- When combined as an integrated sealing system, Guardian packing rings & Vortex Shedder tip seals are proven to increase overall turbine efficiency above design by 1.5% - 4.5%.
- Increased unit efficiency translates to lower EPA emissions per megawatt/hr, as well as, lower operating costs.
Check out our video:
Advanced Sealing System (with Vortex Shedder®)
Learn more about the other Steam Turbine Parts that MD&A offers.