Senior Computational Analysis and Component Life Assessment Engineer
Job Title: Senior Computational Analysis and Component Life Assessment Engineer
Job Location: St. Louis Missouri, Latham NY, or Remote with Travel
Mechanical Dynamics and Analysis LLC, a world class supplier of power generation repairs, services and parts is seeking a motivated senior level engineering professional for our MD&A Repairs division. We have an immediate opening for a qualified individual who has a desire to join a growing organization and an appetite for diverse and technically challenging work. MD&A offers an excellent full range benefits package including relocation assistance for this role.
The MD&A repairs engineering department is seeking a senior level Computational Analysis and Component Life Assessment Engineer to lead finite element analysis and remaining life evaluations for rotating and stationary components for large industrial gas turbine, steam turbine and generators. The person in this role will own all aspects of creating and running analytical models using ANSYS workbench and producing final reports/documentation for life extension analysis.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of component life assessment and remaining life analysis along with process establishment, best practices, and continuous improvement.
- Deep understanding of analysis of large industrial power generation centerline equipment, gas turbine rotors, steam turbine casings, rotors and blades, generator rotors etc.
- Proficiency in ANSYS workbench, proficient with or willing to become proficient with ANSYS CFD and other engineering analytical tools
- Develop specific boundary conditions and establish allowable limits/acceptance criteria for component analysis. Perform analysis of gas turbine, steam turbine and generator components/subassemblies using hand calculations and finite element analysis software
- Deep understanding and application of linear and non-linear analysis including plasticity, creep, and crack propagation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of material science fundamentals, failure modes and non-destructive testing methods including indication/flaw size detectability limits
- Understanding of weld processes and ability to model heat affected zones in FEA
- Compile, maintain and develop material property database for all materials utilized in the remaining life assessment process
- Compile and maintain database for all analytical modeling and results files.
- Compile all analysis results, NDE and final engineering recommendations into comprehensive final report for internal technical and customer design reviews
- Knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes (conventional and non-conventional machining, forging, casting, heat treatment, shot peening, etc.) is a plus
- Present methods, findings and recommendations to customers and large groups at power generation conferences
- Mentor less experienced engineers to develop industry expertise across the MD&A engineering team
- Travel up to 30% to customer sites and other MD&A facilities
Education: MS (preferred) or BS degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering field
Relevant Experience: 15+ years of experience in gas turbine, steam turbine or generator component detailed design or repairs with one of the major OEMs. Component expertise with a deep understanding of methods from conceptual to final design, including critical design features and analysis methods. Comprehensive understanding of power generation turbine/generator materials, coatings, special processing, and manufacturing/repair techniques.
Skills: Familiar with precision measurement equipment such as calipers, micrometers, CMM etc. Proficient in ANSYS workbench (thermal and structural), SpaceClaim, ANSYS CFD. Willingness to become the subject matter expert for additional fracture mechanics and lifing codes such as NASGROW. CAD software experience in Inventor and/or NX, geometric data post processing experience in GOM, Polyworks or Geomagic design software a plus, proficient use of MS office programs. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
MD&A provides an excellent full range benefits package. Send resume and salary requirements by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. MD&A is an equal opportunity employer.