Gas Turbine Senior Combustion Design Engineer
Job Title: Gas Turbine Senior Combustion Design Engineer
Job Location: San Antonio TX, Houston TX, Latham NY or Remote
Mechanical Dynamics and Analysis LLC, a world class supplier of power generation repairs, services and parts is seeking a motivated senior engineering professional for our IGT Repairs division. We have an immediate opening for a qualified individual who has a desire to join a growing organization and an appetite for diverse and technically challenging work. MD&A offers an excellent full range benefits package including relocation assistance for this role.
The MD&A engineering department is seeking a senior level combustion design engineer to lead the troubleshooting, design and development of critical combustion components for large frame land-based gas turbines. The person in this role will own all aspects of product definition for replace in kind and upgraded component offerings.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of combustion hardware design, development and troubleshooting for MNQC and DLN combustion systems
- Deep knowledge of combustion aero/thermal/mechanical fundamentals, analysis, modeling, rig testing, product development and validation
- Full understanding of combustion types, fuel mixtures including hydrogen and impacts on key combustion design parameters (flame speed/stability, dynamics, emissions)
- Ability to understand combustion tuning process, support field troubleshooting and lead combustion related Root Cause Analysis
- Full comprehension of remote monitoring and automated combustion tuning principles
- Develop specific boundary conditions and establish allowable limits/acceptance criteria for component analysis. Perform analysis of gas turbine components and subassemblies using hand calculations, finite element analysis or other combustion modeling software
- Deep knowledge of combustion component design, reverse engineering, product definition and design documentation including but not limited to
- Data acquisition, modeling, analysis, critical feature definition and tolerance stack up, specification creation, final review and approval of production drawings
- Produce final design documents including drawings, material specifications and methods/procedures
- Develop design solutions and upgrades on known fleet issues to differentiate product offerings
- Work jointly with MHPS gas turbine engineering to leverage developed advanced technology for aftermarket gas turbine upgrades
- Fundamental understanding of patent searches along with intellectual property laws and policies
- Work cross functionally with sales to understand customer requirements and emerging market opportunities, provide technical support during customer meetings
- Support sourcing functions to evaluate and develop supply chain opportunities for gas turbine part manufacturing and procurement
- Mentor less experienced engineers to develop industry expertise across engineering team
- Travel up to 20% to customer sites and other MD&A facilities
Education: MS (preferred) or BS degree in mechanical engineering or related engineering field
Relevant Experience: 15+ years of experience in gas turbine combustion detailed design with one of the major industrial gas turbine OEMs. Specific core design experience in GT compressor, turbine rotor and hot gas path technology a plus. Component expertise with a deep understanding of methods from conceptual to final design, including critical design features and tolerances. Comprehensive understanding of gas turbine combustion operability, materials, coatings, special processing and manufacturing techniques.
Skills: Familiar with precision measurement equipment such as calipers, micrometers, CMM etc. Proficient in GD&T practices per ASME Y14.5. Capability to perform combustion analysis, analysis in ANSYS CFD and Mechanical, CAD software experience in Inventor and/or NX, geometric data post processing experience in GOM software, proficient use of MS office programs.
MD&A provides an excellent full range benefits package. Send resume and salary requirements by email to email@example.com. MD&A is an equal opportunity employer.